Thursday, April 22, 2010

“Cuz I still haven’t found what I’m lookin’ for…

Every time I here Damian Rice sing "I still haven't found" it makes sense to me. It's such a human cry.

Are we all searching for something?

The next turn in the road, a “lucky break”, an adventure, an exciting ride, peace, appreciation, love, validation, assurance that you “have what it takes”, meaning, joy, the “pot of gold at the end of the rainbow”, home, your place in the world, explanation, security, worth, the knowledge that you are indeed a special and unique individual, purpose.

Maybe we are missing it, because we are looking in all the wrong places.

It sounds like a Sunday school answer –“everything is found in Christ”, or maybe just a Pollyanna explanation for the haunting questions of life. But not only does the Bible answer these questions, the Bible points to The Lord as the fulfillment of our needs.

The Bible says over and over again things like-

“In my presence is fullness of joy”

“Come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden, I will give you rest.”

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation”

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.”

Many of these are familiar verses, but perhaps we have for too long spiritualized them or put them in our head-knowledge, and forgot they are also literal.

Do we dishonor our Creator and Savior by saying we give him our lives and worship, yet we look everywhere but in him for what we “still haven’t found”? Do we assume that the unseen end of our desire is earthly?

Honestly, I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. Either because I don’t know what I’m looking for, or I just don’t see what is in front of my face. I have glimpsed it... and the only time I did was in the presence of Christ. Nothing else has ever even come close to strumming that deeper chord.

I’ve “tasted and seen” – The Lord is good. His goodness is tangable… In my human heart, so “prone to wander” I move away from my Lord. But from the Words of God I know - He will fill the God sized void in my heart.


But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

Not there yet.... But on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment